Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Professional Studies Day One:- Confidence

On our first day of our Professional Studies lectures we had an intensive day where we would have keynote lectures, which were subject specific, and then would have a question and answer section with with all the keynote speakers and end the day with a lecture from a podcaster named Helen Zaltzman. But the speech that I would like to reflect on was the first speech we had that introduced to studying professionals, this lecture was taught by Trevor Hearing and one thing that stuck out to me when it comes to this lecture was the theme of confidence.

Confidence is a quality that you will need to break into media work but it is something that not everyone has, which is why a lot of people prefer sticking to producing, but that doesn't mean you wont need it even if you are just a producer 'On other occasions you'll have to speak to a group where you can see 'the whites of their eyes' - half a dozen at an ideas meeting' (Stewart, p13, 2006). So as you can see confidence is a very important skill to have when going into any media job and one that, if showcased right, could make you look like a better candidate for any job you are applying for.

Confidence is something that when reflecting on myself I know I don't have a lot of, but while listening to this lecture I realise this is something I can work to improve on and something that I feel I need to have to better my chances in a future career, it is something that I know is important and a weakness of mine so I will aim to improve it


Reference
Stewart, P, 2006, Essential Radio Skills, London, A and C Black Publishers Limited

No comments:

Post a Comment