Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Emily Dicks and Work Effort

Our last professional studies lecture was a keynote speak with Emily Dicks, who has achieved so much in her career, whether it be as a producer or a presenter, with the BBC or an independent company and she did this all through hard work. Emily has had a strong work effort since the moment she tried to break into the business, one of the main ways she has done this is by working as much as she can and wherever she can. This is a good ethos to have as it shows how much effort you must put in each and every day to be successful and even when you make it too the top you must try everything to stay there.

Through Emily's theory on trying to get as much work experience as possible, I have realised how important it will be to get a placement or even volunteer at a radio station, if I want to break into the industry. Even on the Radio Academy (2013) website it states how important it is to get experience 'If you want to work in radio, work experience is one of the most valuable things you can do. It will give you the opportunity to experience what it is like to work in radio and what roles are available, and most importantly, it will give you opportunity to meet people', in this quote it also mentions the importance of meeting people, this is also something that Emily picked up on, how important it is to make contacts in the industry, whether it be to get a recommendation for a job. trust in the studio or an interview with someone.

I felt I learnt a lot from Emily Dicks and she was an interesting person to listen to and get advise from. This was very relevant to me as I feel I would prefer to be a producer and I think Emily sparked my interest even more in that aspect of the profession.

References
The Radio Academy, 2013, The Radio Academy Knowledge Bank, http://www.radioacademy.org/knowledge-bank/getting-in/work-experience/

No comments:

Post a Comment